Here’s how to root your Redmi Note 5 Pro
You can finally move on from the overwhelming MIUI
The Redmi Note 5 Pro is a great device and is probably one of the best selling budget phones of 2018. Its great camera, good performance and its all-day battery life has made it a popular choice amongst buyers who are looking for an affordable phone that packs it all.
But one thing that might be a deal-breaker for some is the overloaded MIUI that is filled to the brim with bloat & ads. So if you’ve been wanting to buy the Redmi Note 5 Pro but the software kept you away till now, why let a bad apple ruin the entire lot? You can root the phone and get the Redmi Note 5 Pro to run clean vanilla android. If this is what you’ve been wanting to do, look nowhere else! Follow this guide on how to root your Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro.
The One-Click Root Method
If you get the heebie-jeebies as soon as you see a lengthy tutorial on how to root a phone, this method of installing TWRP recovery and getting root access is your best bet. A one-click root tool developed by XDA member Pr1nc3V will let you do the same with help of a PC software.
If you want to use the tool, head over to this link and download the tool software. The software tool is pretty self-explanatory and will guide you through the entire process of getting TWRP Recovery and root access on your RN5P.
For some reason, if the above tool doesn’t work, keep reading to follow step-by-step instructions of rooting your phone the conventional way.
The Manual Step-by-Step Method
Pre-requisites of rooting your phone
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% at least
- Minimal ADB and Fastboot tools installed (Get it here)
- Redmi Note 5 Pro TWRP custom recovery (Get it here)
- SuperSU ZIP File (Get it here)
Before you proceed we recommend you to take a backup of all important files and data on your device.
Step 1: Enable USB Debugging & OEM Unlocking
- Head over to settings and scroll down to About Phone.
- Now find the MIUI version and tap 7 times on it to enable developer options.
- Now that developer options are enabled, head over to the Additional Settings from the main settings menu and access the developer options menu.
- From the developer menu, find and enable OEM Unlocking & USB Debugging.
- Now connect your Redmi Note 5 Pro to the computer and press ‘Ok’ on the popup that asks if you want to enable USB debugging.
Step 2: Unlock the bootloader
To unlock the bootloader, head over to Xiaomi’s Bootloader unlocking page and follow the instructions page. Once done, head back to this article and continue the steps below to install TWRP & get root access.
Step 3: Enter Fastboot Mode & Flash TWRP file
- Shut down your Redmi Note 5 Pro and then press the Power + Volume Down button until the phone vibrates and shows the Fastboot screen.
- Now that it is in Fastboot mode, connect the phone to the computer using a micro USB cable.
- Create a new folder on your desktop with the TWRP file in the folder.
- In this folder, press Left Shift + Right Click and select ‘Open Powershell window here’ or ‘Open command window here’.
- In the command prompt terminal, type in the command ‘fastboot devices’ (without the quotes). If you get a randomly generated serial number after this it means that the fastboot is working.
- Now that you’re ready, go ahead and type the following command ‘fastboot flash recovery <twrp-filename.img>’ (without the quotes). If the name of the TWRP file is twrp-3.2.4-0-whyred.img then the command should be ‘fastboot flash recovery <twrp-3.2.2-0-whyred.img>’ (without the quotes).
- Finish the TWRP installing process by entering ‘fastboot reboot’ (without the quotes).
Step 4: Root the phone
- Now that we’ve installed the TWRP Recovery let’s get to rooting the phone.
- After you’ve downloaded the SuperSu ZIP file, transfer it to your phone memory via a micro USB cable.
- Boot your device into TWRP Recovery by holding the Power Button + Volume Down button.
- Tap on install and select the SuperSu ZIP file that you transferred to your phone. After selecting the file, Swipe to confirm flash at the bottom of the screen.
- After the SuperSu ZIP file is successfully installed just click on Reboot System.
- You’re now ready to install your favourite ROM on the Redmi Note 5 Pro. Enjoy!