Here’s how to set Spotify as the default music player on Android
So now that Spotify is in India, Spotify has added a lot more users to its ecosystem. And obviously, a lot of these users use Android-based phones. Google Assistant has been gaining popularity on Android phones because of how simple it has made interactions with different apps and services like Spotify, Uber, Netflix etc.
Google Assistant allows you to set a music app of your choice as the default one. Any request that you make to Google Assistant now, is redirected to the music provider of your choice. But unfortunately, a lot of users have complained about how they aren’t able to set Spotify as the default service provider.
But fortunately, I tinkered with the settings and managed to get Google Assistant to play my requests on Spotify without having to mention Spotify in the request command or by tapping on the app icon for every request.
Here’s what you need to do to open Spotify by default for all your Assistant requests.
- Open your Google Application and click on the more tab.
- Click on the settings tab to open the settings menu.
- Now tap on Google Assistant from the menu.
- Tapping on Google Assistant will open a comprehensive menu where you can change and customize all your settings and preferences for Google Assistant.
- Since we want to change a default service, click on the Services tab.
- Here you’ll find the Music tab through which we will be able to change the default music provider. Depending on which country you’re from, you’ll be able to see services that are supported in your country. In India, you’ll be able to choose from Gaana, JioSaavn, YouTube Music and Google Play Music.
- Since Spotify isn’t available, click on ‘No default provider’ as your choice. Now if you’ve followed the instructions correctly, any song request that you throw at Google Assistant should be filtered via Spotify.
- In case if this doesn’t work out for you, just take the pain of adding ‘On Spotify’ after every request that you make (Eg. Hey Google, play Better Not by Louis the Child on Spotify).
Let us know if this guide helped you!